We are here...inventing the future!
While we make an effort to insure the links are appropriate for our community, we make no endorsements or recommendations.
If you know of a resource that should be listed contact us:
- Accredited Colleges: accreditedcolleges.com/resources/lgbt-college-guide/ To help you find the best accredited college. The website includes where LGBTQ students can apply for scholarships.
- ACLU: The American Civil Liberties Union fights for individual rights of Americans, including GLBT citizens.
- Amnesty International OUTfront!: OUTfront! is the GLBT rights part of global human rights organization Amnesty International.
- Aptus Insurance: aptusinsurance.com is a personal finance guide for the lgbt community.
- Attorney: Attorney for us Sara J. Gray will win your trust. Call today for a free consultation; DUI, Traffic, Criminal, Bankruptcy, Real Estate, Personal Injury, Workers Compensation, and more!
- Canticle Ministries, Inc. canticleministries.org is committed to providing quality transitional housing and a well-integrated network HIV/AIDS supportive services that provide HOPE, GROWTH and OPPORTUNITY for people impacted by HIV/AIDS, in a compassionate environment that promotes wholeness of life within ourselves and the communities we serve.
- Chicago Gender Society: Chicago Gender Society is an educational, support and social organization for the Transgender and Transsexual Community.
- Church of St. Benedict: (Episcopal) www.stbenedict.ws 909 Lily Cache Lane, Bolingbrook, 630-759-5955. We seek to be a community of welcome for all people and families. You will find a place of support (and fun!) in worship, education, and fellowship in the church community at St. Benedict. We welcome gay and lesbian couples who are members of our church (or who are close family of members) to have their civil union blessed here. Not a member? Come visit a Sunday service, our website, or contact our priest to see if we might be a community where you feel at home (check our website for current contact info). We are a diverse congregation in class, race, and age and we are fully handicapped accessible.
- DignityUSA: DignityUSA is a resource for gay Catholics to find affirmation and support from others.
- Gay Chicago Pages: gaychicagopages.com exist to provide a readily available directory of unbiased product and service providers in the Chicago area. Our goal is to be a conduit for the GLBT and those who appreciate our business. contact Rod Sheppard @ (773)527-6579. Ext. 313
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association: glma.org Founded in 1981 to help ensure equality in healthcare for the LGTB community. We offer an online directory of non-judgmental and culturally competent doctors, therapist, nurses, dentists and other providers that you can trust. Find our online provider directory at: www.glma.org/referrals. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, or 415-255-4547
- Get Covered Illinois: getcoveredillinois . Talk to Shanda Raglin at 815-685-5093 or by email at email@example.com at the Family Guidance Center for help to sign up for health insurance.
- Gina L. Spielman, LCSW & Associates: Psychotherapy services in the western suburbs of Chicago: Gina Spielman, 445 W. Jackson Ave., Suite 105, Naperville IL 60540, 630-212-7048, firstname.lastname@example.org. LGBTQ affirming!
- GLAAD: The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is dedicated to promoting and ensuring fair, accurate and inclusive representation of people and events in the media as a means of eliminating homophobia and discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Good Shepherd Church. www.welcome432.org We are a Reconciling in Christ congregation, part of the Lutherans Concerned/North America program. 25 Alexander Circle, Suite 1 Romeoville, IL 60446 815-886-4354
- Guardian Angel Home: Guardian Angel Home provides services for those who are victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault. We have established a collaboration with them to provide services to LGBT victims and work together as C.A.A.N.'s non-violence program is created and implemented.
- Hatzidakis Law:Attorney for Employment Cases.Hatzidakis Law is a law firm dedicated to protecting and advancing employee civil rights. Contact Hatzidakis Law by calling 312-857-5577 or visiting hatzidakislaw.com Attorney Christina D. Hatzidakis regularly respresents LGBT individuals in discrimination, harassment, and retaliation cases against their employers. She welcomes cases of individuals who have been treated differently at work due to their sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, race national origin, disability, religion, marital status, caregiving responsibilities, and other reasons.
- Health Degrees: Health CareersIf you're interested in medicine, health and wellness you may want to consider a health degree. The link to the Bureau of Labor Statistics provides details about each field. To start a fulfilling career in the healthcare industry then Joliet Jr. College, St. Francis University and Lewis University are the 3 educational institutions in Joliet to call.
- Housing and Mortgages for the LGBT Couple:mortgageloan.com/lgbt/a comprehensive consumer guide for the LGBT community that talks about the various approaches that can be used in getting a mortgage and other similar topics. "disclaimer" people should check with their own reputable attorney for legal questions regarding home ownership,survivorship, wills, trusts, living trusts, etc.
- Illinois NOW:the goal of the National Organization of Women is to take action to bring about equality for all women. Now works to eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace, schools, the justice system, and all other sectors of society.
- KML Associates:KarenMLavin.comA family law firm based in Crystal Lake that is gay and lesbian friendly. Services include pre-nuptial agreements, civil union agreements, domestic partnerships, adoptions, estate planning, and dissolution of marriage for same sex couples. Call Karen Lavin at 815-356-0800.
- Lavender Green Caucus: The Lavender Greens are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer Greens organized as a Caucus with the purpose of promoting LGBTIQ issues within the Green Party.
- Life Insurance:The Simple Dollar Life Insurance Guide. In 2006 Trent Hamm started sharing his personal finance, insurance, and retirement advice because he was frustrated with how dense and misleading the information available was. The Simple Dollar is the result. Check it out.
- Linda Jo Martin, LCSW: A Licensed Clinical Social Worker with vast experience working within the LGBTQ community. Her private practice is dedicated to adults, adolescents, families and couples. All facets of life difficulties explored: relationships, coming out issues, self-esteem, stress/depression/anxiety - just to name a few. Client self-determination is always at the heart of our work together. Confidential. Most insurances accepted.114 Church Street Suite 106 New Lenox, IL 60451 (773) 404-0168
- Loving More: Love More About polyamory. Romantic love with more than one person, honestly, ethically, and with the full knowledge and consent of all concerned.
- LGBTQ Youth:Youth Outlook provides social, educational, and recreational programming, including HIV prevention, speakers, discussions, and game nights. Naperville, Aurora, DeKalb, Sterling.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: The national center for transgender equality is a national social justice organization devoted to ending discrimination and violence against transgender people through education and advocacy.
- Open Door Clinic: The Open Door Clinic is dedicated to improving the quality of life for persons with HIV/AIDS & STIs and to the prevention of future transmissions. They provide sexual health and wellness services through a multi-discipline approach with medical, psychological and educational interventions that empower individuals to eliminate the transmission of sexually transmitted infections including HIV/AIDS and their stigma.
- Out In The Suburbs: OutInTheSuburbs.Com is a website providing information on resources for LGBTs in the Chicago suburbs.
- People For the American Way Foundation: Over the past two decades, People For the American Way Foundation has worked to ensure that the promises enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights are made real for all Americans.
- PFLAG Dupage:PFLAG Dupage is a local chapter of Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays, a national, nonprofit organization that promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and their friends.
- PFLAG Joliet:PFLAG Jolietis a local chapter. Meetings held the 3rd Sunday of the Month from 2-4pm Good Shepherd Church & Preschool 25 Alexander Circle Romeoville, IL 630-415-0622.
- PFLAG Sauk Valley Chapter: The Sauk Valley Chapter of National PFLAG (email us) meets on the third Monday of each month at 7 p.m at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Amboy and serves Lee, Ogle and Whiteside Counties in northern Illinois. The chapter serves parents, families, friends of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons. In order to better serve the transgender community, the chapter now is affiliated with PFLAGTNET and has a transgender coordinator position as part of their organization. The goal for 2007 is to become more visible in the communities they serve and to become a vital part of the National PFLAG's project of Staight for Equality.
- Pink Pages:Pink Pages is a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Directory.
- Plainfield Congregational Church. Open and Affirmining. 24020 Fraser Rd. Plainfield IL 60586 815-436-9441
- Quit Day. quitday.org The public sector faces moral and ethical issues when choosing whether to support, or deny support, for Big Tobacco. Public education and stricter laws may help to sway public opinion, and in the process, save lives.
- Quit Smoking.quitsmokingcommunity Make 2015 your year to quit.
- Rainbow Group of Alcoholics Anonymous: The Rainbow Group of A.A. is for anyone who wants to stop drinking, and meets Monday Nights at C.A.A.N. Online meeting is Monday 6:45 to 7:15.
- Rainbow Serenity:TheRainbow Serenity of Northwest Indiana is an organization that is provided to the public that shall provide all people, with emphasis in the lgbt community with at safe, educational, and label-free atmosphere.
- Rainbow Wedding Network: Since 2000. Rainbow Wedding Network is a lesbian owned LGBTQ wedding & family resource. Includes a nationwide directory of screened gay friendly businesses.
- Real Estate: Realtor for usThe LGBT community in Chicagoland is very diverse culturally, ethnically and geographically. David Shallow will help you market your home or help you find the home of your dreams. Committed to the advancement of equality for all people!
- Reconciling Ministries Network:Reconciling Ministries Network is a national grassroots organization that exists to enable full participation of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities in the life of the United Methodist Church, both in policy and practice.
- Save our Sanity Group of AlAnon: This group of AlAnon, for friends and families of alcoholics, meets Monday Nights at 8:00 p.m. at the Joliet Alano Club (go in the back door, to the front room), 265 Republic Joliet, IL 60434.
- Scarleteen: Scarleteen is an independent, grassroots sexuality education and support organization and website.
- Southern Poverty Law Center: The Southern Poverty Law Center, founded in 1971 as a small civil rights law firm, is today internationally known for its tolerance education programs and its legal victories against, and its tracking of, hate groups.
- Straight Spouse Support: Straight Spouse Network For Spouses/Partners, current or former, of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender mates. Email email@example.com for more information about a group in the C.A.A.N. community area (Joliet and roughly the surrounding 30 miles).
- St. Michael’s United Church of Christ: stmichaelsucc.org. A progressive, open and affirming congregation in DuPage County.
- The Church of the Transfiguration: A progressive parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago, The Church of the Transfiguration is located at 12219 S. 86th Ave., Palos Park, across the street from the Plush Horse ice cream parlor. Sunday services are at 8 and 10 a.m. All are welcome!
- True Child:TrueChild.orgHelps donors, policy-makers, and practitioners reconnect race, class and gender through "gender transformative" approaches that challenge rigid gender norms and inequalities.
- United Church of Christ: The United Church of Christ is an Open and Affirming Christian Denomination, fully accepting GLBT people into their churches.
- Universalist Unitarian: Universalist Unitarianism is another very pro-gay denomination that welcomes and supports GLBT people in their congregations.
Joliet Police LGBT Liaison
Officer Shawn Carnes can help you if you are having, or have had, any problem with the Joliet Police Department, or any other matter requiring police assistance related to your gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or perceived sexual orientation.
Officer Carnes is here to help create a safe community for all in Joliet.
Email Officer Carnes!